In today's busy world, thinking green isn't always easy, but Benzel-Busch would like to help you think of ways we can all contribute to an environmentally friendly world and improve the fuel economy of our vehicles while we are at it. We would like to share the following tips with you regarding how we can help you get there. Also look for the Mercedes-Benz SUVS available with BLUETEC diesel engines this summer and available in all 50 states.
The following tips are supported by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Edmunds regarding 10 things you can do to improve your gas mileage:
1. Follow Your Vehicle's Recommended Maintenance Schedule. A well maintained vehicle will operate with greater efficiency, improving both performance and fuel economy. If you have a dirty air filter, or clogged fuel filter, you won't experience the optimal fuel economy for your vehicle. According to the US Department of Energy (DOE), replacing this air filter can increase your mileage by 10% and replacing a faulty oxygen sensor could yield a 40% improvement. Using the correct octane at each fill up, and the recommended grade of oil will also improve fuel economy. Please Ask your Benzel-Busch Service Advisor to confirm these for you.
2. Keep Your Tires Properly Inflated. This is important for safety as tires are less likely to fail at high speeds if they are inflated properly. This will also help your tires wear evenly as well as improve fuel economy by approximately 3%. If your tires aren't inflated properly, the vehicles requires more energy which will lead to a gas tank that empties more frequently than it needs to as well.
3. Take a Load Off by emptying out your trunk or back seat. Heavier vehicles require more energy to move. Your fuel economy is decreased by 1-2% for every extra 100 lbs riding in the trunk.
4. Don't Drive Aggressively by over accelerating from a stoplight or braking too hard. This will reduce fuel economy as well as lead to greater wear and tear on your brakes. By driving in accordance with the speed limit, you will improve fuel economy up to 37% since this will increase your chances of getting mostly green lights. According to the DOE, you will notice a 7% decrease in fuel economy for every 5 miles you drive over 65 mph.
5. Use the Highest Gear Possible When driving at a steady speed (for e.g. on the highway), cars are designed to start in lowest gear possible because that's where they have the most power. Power however, leads to an increase in fuel consumption so you want to drive at the highest gear.
6. Use Cruise Control on flat roads so that your speed stays at a constant speed. This can yield a savings of up to 14% on gas.
7. Think Clean. By improving aerodynamics with a waxed and washed car, you will also improve fuel economy.
8. Avoid Excessive Idling Turn the car off while you wait and then restart the car, or park and go inside. This can save up to 19% of your vehicle's gas.
9. Think Before you Vent(ilate). For driving around town or the city, leave your windows open including your sunroof for improved fuel economy. For highway driving however, use your air conditioning because driving with the windows down will create drag on the vehicle which is even worse for fuel consumption than the amount of fuel you would have consumed by using the air conditioning in the first place.
10. Combine Your Errands. Several short trips can use twice as much fuel as a single longer trip covering the same distance according to the DOE. When your engine is cold, it uses more fuel than when it's warm. If you combine errands, gas mileage is improved because your vehicle's engine will be warm for more of the trip. It will also cut down on the number of miles you travel. Please call us to request an appointment and ask our Service Call Center Representatives for additional information.
Benzel-Busch can help you:
- Bring your Mercedes-Benzin for its regularly scheduled maintenance service including check of the brakes
- Free first vehicle inspection when it has reached 1,000-3,000 miles
- Free one-time tire rotation at 5,000-8,000 miles.
- With the purchase of four new tires, receive free tire rotation every 6,500 miles for the life of the tires and two - year tire road hazard protection. See your Service Representative for details.
- Free Tire Pressure Check and Inflation at any time
- Give your vehicle the gift of a professional detail
- Protect your vehicle from mud and sand with a wax, compound and shampoo. It's a spa treatment for your car.
- Air Conditioning System Performance Check.
- Our technicians will inspect AC condensation and water drains for obstruction and debris, and remove as necessary. They will also check the operation of the air conditioning system, check system pressures, and visually inspect the air conditioning hoses and compressor for leaks.
28 Grand Ave Englewood, NJ 07631