See our Audi Lease Specials »
Worthy of Summer Road Trips? A Closer Look at Smart Car Reliability
Safe and Smart for Your Summertime Travels
The summer months bring throngs of travelers, either coming in or going out of the tri-state area for weekend jaunts, reunions, or family vacations. Additionally, increased road construction during the longer daylight hours can make for heightened traffic along narrow roadways. More than ever, drivers demand a safe and secure ride.
In terms of physics, larger vehicles tend to fare better than smaller vehicles in collision situations, but many are pleasantly surprised to learn just how safe and reliable smart cars actually are. In fact, the 2018 Smart cars have earned the highest rating of five stars from the Independent Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), for several reasons:
- The Smart Car's reinforced, racecar style frame - the Tridion steel safety shell – helps to mitigate crash results, according to the IIHS. When put to a 70mph crash test, the vehicle's body remained mostly intact compared to a conventional subcompact car.
- At the front of the Smart Car is an energy absorbing crumple zone, designed to reduce impact.
- Offering increased protection, the vehicle's battery is positioned in the vehicle’s sturdy underbody.
These Smart vehicles also support those inside by offering:
- Anti-lock Braking System with Electronic Brake-force Distribution
- Acceleration Skid Control
- Cross Wind Assist to detect strong gusts of wind
- Disc brakes at the front and drum brakes at the rear and a dual circuit brake system with servo assistance
- Electronic Brake Assist
- esp® (the Electronic Stability Program) with Hill Start Assist
- State-of-the-art front and side airbags
A Smart Solution for the Pocketbook and the Environment
Because it is so lightweight, this rear-wheel-drive cutie comes with a three-phase synchronous motor, allowing it to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 11.4 seconds, zipping along at a top speed of 81 mph. Is this not the perfect versatile option for both urban city streets and open highways?
Here’s a look at why so many gravitate towards the power of the Smart Fortwo:
- As the most efficient two-seater on the market, Smart requires less electricity to go farther, offering 124 city MPGe, 94 highway MPGe, and 108 combined MPGe.
- The electric drive comes with an "ECO" driving mode to maximize range and turn the car's kinetic energy into electric energy for the trip.
- It comes with an impressive 7.2 kW onboard charger, which fully charges the Smart Car (and we're talking 0-100%) in only 3 hours with a 240-volt Level II charge system. This makes the Smart Car one of the fastest charging electric vehicles out there!
- You can heat or cool your Smart Fortwo while it charges, thanks to a pre-entry climate control system that increases your energy efficiency even more.
An Incredible Ride in an Incredible Car at a Place Where Luxury Lives
Apart from being more environmentally friendly, providing exceptional value and allowing for greater driving and parking options - especially in congested urban traffic - many Smart Car drivers simply find it more fun to drive. Not sure if you’re ready to make the Smart car switch? Plan a visit to Benzel-Busch today for a test drive.
What the big deal about these small Smart cars? Browse our Smart car inventory and plan a test drive at Benzel-Busch to see for yourself.